Osteoarthritis and Treatments Options / RESEARCH of the Low Back Injected with STEM CELLS
- PERCUTANEOUS INJECTION OF AUTOLGOUS BONE MARROW CELLS SIGNIFICANTLY REDUCE LUMBAR DISCOGENIC PAIN THROUGH 12 MONTHS . . Pettine (2014)
- 26 patients injected into painful discs.
- No adverse effects.
- 9 out of 20 at one year follow up by MRI showed improvement on MRI and also improvement in the Oswestry Disability Index and VAS (pain scale)
- Zhang et al in 2005
- MSC’s injected into discs can help increase proteoglycan production in the nucleus pulposus.
- Miyomota et al 2010
- Intradiscal transplantation of synovial derived MSC’s prevented disc degeneration through suppression of catabolic genes and perhaps also increase proteoglycan production.
- Recent Phase II FDA Clinical Trials of culture expanded ALLOGENIC MSC’s injected intradiscally for degenerative disc disease in 100 patients showed promise for pain and function at 6 months. (Not allowed in the United States currently because the STEM CELLS were manipulated in culture).
STEM CELLS hold promise that it may be possible to treat degenerative disc disease or its components to hopefully prevent spinal fusion.
Posted in: research