The STEM CELL Procedure Overview
- The patient is given intravenous light sedation and laid on their stomach to relax.
- Bone marrow biopsy.
- Dr. Hirsch/Dr. Hall place a very small needle into the hip to numb the specific area. The hip location is rich in MESENCHYMAL STEM CELLS.
- Then a larger needle is inserted (under live x-ray) into the intended area of the posterior hip.
- Then 60 cc’s of bone marrow (rich in STEM CELLS) are extracted (aspirated) from this area of the hip (The iliac crest has the highest number of STEM CELLS).
- These cells are then processed through a bedside centrifuge for approximately 10 minutes (in order to retrieve the STEM CELL concentrate and removing the undesirable cells).
- The STEM CELL concentrate has 3 layers:
- Red Blood Cells
- BUFFY COAT—Which has PLATELETS, leukocytes, granulocytes, monocytes, and PROGENITOR CELLS.This is the layer that is useful in regenerative healing.
- The concentrated STEM CELLS are then re-injected into the injured area.
- The injection is accomplished by using image guidance (live x-ray or ultrasound) in order to put the STEM CELLS in the exact anatomic area intended.
- Our goal is to deliver much greater numbers of STEM CELLS to an injured area of the body than the body could deliver on its own.
- THE STEM CELL ORTHOPEDIC INSTITUTE OF TEXAS may add in certain patients PLATELET RICH PLASMA to the stem cell concentrate (to make a super mix or an anti-pain cocktail). The STEM CELL/PLATELET RICH CONCENTRATE offers different anti-inflammatory potentials and different mechanisms to aid in the body repair. Platelets do have a stimulatory and recruitment effect on the STEM CELLS.
- This is a SAME DAY procedure which includes the bone marrow aspiration and the STEM CELL injections.
- Typically, the process takes less than 60 minutes.
- After the procedure, you leave the office with appropriate instructions and a customized rehabilitation program to support your recovery.
- THE STEM CELL ORTHOPEDIC INSTITUTE OF TEXAS will track your outcomes through follow up visits, by phone or by email. All patients are tracked in a patient registry for outcomes and complications.
Is STEM CELL Therapy Right for You? Call (210) 293-3136 today to schedule your medical evaluation. Patient Advocates are standing by.