STEM Cell Treatment for Lower Back Pain
Lumbar Degenerative Disc Disease
Chronic low back pain is a condition of the axial lumbar spine in which pain symptoms have lasted longer than 3 months. Symptoms may be recurrent, and in some patients unremitting. Improvement in function and pain is the most important goal in treating this condition.
The spinal components work together to provide function and mobility to the body. If an area in the back is injured, the entire structure begins to compensate for the injury causing problems with spinal stability and function. Restoring stability and functionality by reducing your pain is possible when treating:
- Discogenic low back pain.
- Bulging discs.
- Degenerative disc disease.
- Facet joint arthritis.
- Sacroiliac Joint arthritis.
Lumbar pain (low back pain) that may radiate to one or both buttocks is the main symptom of degenerative disc disease. Often the pain is mechanical in that it is aggravated by activities such as bending, stooping, lifting, and twisting. Patients may have a history of sciatica (pain radiating down the back of the leg). Pain in the low back is the predominant symptom. Symptoms may last for years, typically presenting between the third and sixth decades of life.
Some pain is relieved with a night’s rest. Sleep can be disturbed though. Chronic pain often causes mood disturbances, sexual changes and concentration problems. Deconditioning may also develop. The patient usually reports stiffness when rising from a seated position and there may be tenderness about the lumbar spine and sacroiliac joints.
Is STEM CELL Therapy Right for You?
You may be a candidate for STEM CELL Therapy. Call (210) 293-3136 today to schedule your medical evaluation. Courteous Patient Advocates are standing by to answer your questions.
TREATMENT for LOW BACK PAIN (OPTIONS)
- Nonsteroidals(NSAID’s)/muscle relaxants.
- Antidepressants for pain and mood changes.
- Physical therapy to include lumbar traction and spinal exercises.
- Weight reduction.
- Spinal injection (with steroid)
- Spine surgery (Fusion).
ALTERNATIVE TO BACK SURGERY
Millions of people undergo painful lumbar spine surgeries yearly. Sometimes lumbar surgery is extremely helpful and life changing. When a failed low back surgery occurs, the patient can be left with decreased back motion, decreased activity levels, chronic pain, chronic muscle spasms, depression and employment issues. Most low back surgeries (fusions) require a lengthy recovery.
THE STEM CELL ORTHOPEDIC INSTITUTE OF TEXAS offers spinal STEM CELL injections for:
- Degenerative disc disease/discogenic low back pain.
- SI joint arthritis.
- Facet joint arthritis.
The STEM CELL injections are a walk in/walk out procedure with return to most activities as tolerated that day.
The STEM CELL procedure is a super anti-inflammatory injection into the discs or joints to help with pain and hopefully restore some disc height. With significant disc degeneration of the lumbar spine, the spine vertebral bodies get closer together, and this ultimately puts more pressure on the affected spinal segment joints. Arthritis and pain can develop with time as well as compression of nerve roots.
With STEM CELL injections, there is no scarring, no cutting of the spinal musculature (which can cause muscle injury and residual low back pain after surgery) and limits complication rates and morbidity.
The combination of STEM CELL and PLATELET injections help with low back pain healing. The patient’s PLATELETS contain growth factors that help blood vessels to grow and increase blood supply to the disc. This aides the disc in healing and pain. STEM CELL and PLATELETS injected into the disc can also help with decreasing pain. STEM CELLS may restore a partially collapsed and degenerative disc. STEM CELLS can cause architectural changes to occur as well.
Are you a candidate for STEM CELL disc injection?
If you are experiencing pain and discomfort from a bulging disc, have degenerative disc disease, and spine pain and you are told that you are a spinal fusion candidate – – – You may be a candidate for STEM CELL injections.
- PERCUTANEOUS INJECTION OF AUTOLGOUS BONE MARROW CELLS SIGNIFICANTLY REDUCE LUMBAR DISCOGENIC PAIN THROUGH 12 MONTHS . . Pettine (2014)
- 26 patients injected into painful discs.
- No adverse effects.
- 9 out of 20 at one year follow up by MRI showed improvement on MRI and also improvement in the Oswestry Disability Index and VAS (pain scale)
- Zhang et al in 2005
- MSC’s injected into discs can help increase proteoglycan production in the nucleus pulposus.
- Miyomota et al 2010
- Intradiscal transplantation of synovial derived MSC’s prevented disc degeneration through suppression of catabolic genes and perhaps also increase proteoglycan production.
- Recent Phase II FDA Clinical Trials of culture expanded ALLOGENIC MSC’s injected intradiscally for degenerative disc disease in 100 patients showed promise for pain and function at 6 months. (Not allowed in the United States currently because the STEM CELLS were manipulated in culture).
STEM CELLS hold promise that it may be possible to treat degenerative disc disease or its components to hopefully prevent spinal fusion.
Is STEM CELL Therapy Right for You? Call (210) 293-3136 today to schedule your medical evaluation. Patient Advocates are standing by.