Activities and Instructions after your STEM CELL Procedures
What can I expect post procedure?
- STEM CELL procedures are done as an outpatient, so no overnight stay is required. Most should expect to walk out of the clinic without assistance.
- Some patients have reported experiencing mild pain for the first 48 to 72 hours post STEM CELL procedure. This pain can primarily be from the bone marrow biopsy in the hip. The pain also can be from the absence of the patient taking their normal anti-inflammatory medications (nonsteroidals) prior to the procedure. – – Do not restart an anti-inflammatories (nonsteroidals and/or aspirin) for 2 weeks after the procedure.
- Taking Tylenol, Tylenol #3, Lortab, Hydrocodone, Norco, etc. is allowed for pain.
- Celebrex is also allowed for pain relief.
- Ice should be applied to the affected area 15-20 minutes at a time (no longer) for 3-5 times in a 24 hour period over the donor site (hip) and injected area. This should take place for about 2 days.
- Encourage re-hydration (drinking fluids) after the procedure for the next 24 hours.
- Stop tobacco use, if possible.
- Consider supplements of zinc and vitamin D3.
When can I resume physical activity?
For the procedure to have the best chance to yield lasting benefits, we recommend:
- No anti-inflammatory medications for the first 2 weeks post procedure.
- Rest as much as possible for the first 24-48 hours.
- Restrict the joint to just general use for the first 2 weeks.
- For weeks 3-4, walking and cardio activities are allowed.
- After 4 weeks, weightlifting and running are permitted.
Is STEM CELL Therapy Right for You? Call (210) 293-3136 today to schedule your medical evaluation. Patient Advocates are standing by.